Spring is here and summer is fast approaching. If you are like us here at Export Marine, Inc., then you can’t wait to get back on the water for some friends, fun, and sun. To make sure your first outing of the year is a successful, stress free good time, our resident expert, Captain Perry, has a few reminders for you before you shove off of the dock.
1. Walk around visual inspection
Make sure all the running lights work.
Inspect your ski and towing lines.
Unfold your Bimini top and ensure you have all to its required hardware.
2. Check the engine(s) and prop(s).
1. Check the oil and other fluid levels and service as needed.
2. Change the oil, oil filter, and drive lubricants if this was not done prior to winterizing the boat.
1. Check your battery!!
Charge your battery and check to make sure it can hold a charge and replace it if needed.
2. Honk the horn.
3. Check all the lights.
Check the interior & exterior to see if you need to replace any bulbs.
4. Crank the stereo.
If nothing comes out of the speakers, then check your fuses. If no sound is coming out of just one speaker, then check the connections.
4. Safety Equipment
1. Check the dates of your flares and fire extinguishers.
2. Ensure that you have enough and the correct type of personal flotation devices.
3. Pull on you safety rails to check for stability.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of everything to check before hitting the water, but is a good start. If you have questions, please submit them in the comments below.
As always, have a safe and happy time on the water.